What are the best robotic pool cleaners?
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus
Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus: Key Features
- Dual scrubbing brushes
- Suitable for In-ground pool type
- Fine & Ultra-fine filter type
- Covers pool size up to 50 ft
- Cleans floor and walls
- 2-hour cleaning cycle
This robotic pool cleaner is designed for an inground pool. It is ideal for pool sizes up to 50 ft. Additionally, it comes with a fine and ultra-fine filter cartridge along with two brushes. The machine’s drive system is CleverClean, which helps it with navigation.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus
- Its navigation system ensures that the machine doesn’t waste time moving around randomly and allows it to cover pools completely without leaving any area behind.
- The cleaner helps to reduce algae by scrubbing floors and walls.
- It’s extremely easy to set up since you just need to plug in the cord to get it working.
- The machine’s swivel technology feature prevents the line from tangling up during cleaning.
- The cartridge filter is large, and you can easily rinse the filter cartridge after use without much hassle.
- On average, the Dolphin Nautilus CC only uses up five cents of energy per hour which makes it.
- Its two scrubbing brushes creates more friction for better cleaning performance.
- The weekly timer lets you set a cleaning schedule for your robotic cleaner.
- Dolphin Nautilus has a caddy that is useful for transportation and storage, but it’s not included as part of the product. You have to buy it separately as an accessory.
- Only suitable for inground pools.
- It doesn’t come with many programming features, such as delay start and cycle time selector.
- No Bluetooth app and not remotely controllable.
- Not suitable for cleaning the waterline.
- The power supply is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant.
Customer reviews of Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus
Most customers praise seem happy with its ability to clean their pool. That said, you can also see some negative comments. For example, some customers complain that it’s weight is a little too light to the point that it just slides down when there’s a slope in the pool.
You can hear complaints about its navigation system not being as effective as its claim, although it eventually cleans the entire pool. Some say the cable tangles up as well.
But overall, most people write positively about its cleaning capability.
- Is it safe for vinyl liner pools?
- The product is compatible with vinyl liner pools.
- Does the product include the cord and caddy?
- You’ll get the cord with the product, but you’ll have to make a separate purchase for the caddy.
- What’s the voltage requirement?
- It requires the standard 120v
- What’s the ideal temperature for it to operate?
- Between 43 and 93 degrees.
- Can I remove the Styrofoam in the motor unit?
- No. It’s designed to help with buoyancy.
- Is it possible to use the product with an extension cord?
- The dolphin isn’t suitable for use with the extension cord.
- Can I use the Dolphin product on vinyl or fiberglass pool?
- Yes, it’s perfectly fine.
- Can I use it in an infinity pool?
- It depends on the Dolphin model. You’d want to contact the company to confirm.
Dolphin Premier: Key Features
- Inground robotic pool cleaner
- Multi-layer filter type
- Covers floor, walls, and waterline
- 3 hours of cleaning cycle
- 2 brushes
- 22 lbs weight
The cleaner comes with four different media types and a 360 anti-tangle swivel. Just like the Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus, it comes equipped with the SmartNav technology. Furthermore, it has a 3,000 RPM commercial grade DC motors.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Premier
- The machine is designed to efficiently collect leaves
- It comes with two high output motors
- Its rubber tracks grip onto the wall strongly, much better than wheels
- Comes with four types of media, which include micro-cartridges, standard cartridges, oversized debris bag, and disposable debris bag.
- Cleans the waterline which most other cleaners fail to do.
- Works for all pool surfaces including tile.
- High-speed rotational brushes easily deal with organic materials.
- If you want a remote control, you’ll need to buy it separately.
- One obvious disadvantage is its price.
Customer feedback of Dolphin Premier
Most customers are content with the Dolphin Premier cleaner and vouch for its ability to do the job.
Based on the reviews, there’s no doubt that the Premier does what it promises: clean your pool thoroughly and effortlessly climb up the waterline to cover all areas.
Many also mention how easy it is to set up and start the whole thing.
The only real downside is how much it costs.
- Can I use this robotic cleaner in hot tubs?
- Nope, it’s not designed for hot tubs.
- Can you leave it in your pool?
- It’s fine but you’d want to make sure your pool has a proper chemical balance beforehand.
- Can the power supply be left outside?
- You want to make sure the power supply isn’t covered in water since it’s not waterproof.
Dolphin Triton PS Plus
Dolphin Triton PS Plus: Key Features
- Fine and ultra-fine filter type
- Built for inground
- Extra-large basket filter
- Standard and quick-cleaning modes
- Double brushes
- Supports Bluetooth with Wi-fi
The Dolphin Triton PS Plus comes with a top access filter and it comes with a basket, unlike its predecessor that came with a filter cartridge. The machine also has Bluetooth connectivity, which means you can control it with your smartphone. The Triton PS Plus comes with two cycles of cleaning which consist of either a one-hour rapid cycle or a 2-hour cycle.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Triton PS Plus
- You can schedule cleanings and cycle options, and spot clean using the app.
- The top access filter basket makes it easy to clean.
- Ability to control it from your smartphone via Bluetooth connection.
- It’s quite light and weighs only around 16 lbs.
- Cleans your pool within 2 hours or so
- Doesn’t have a built-in anti-tangle cord, but it’s programmed to move in a way to reduce tangling up.
- Although the Bluetooth smartphone app adds a lot to its perceived value, the reality is that it’s just simpler to control it manually, so it’s not as practical as you may think.
Customer feedback of Dolphin Triton PS Plus
Most are satisfied with its cleaning capability. Most consumers seem to like the fact that its removable filter basket makes it very easy to clean.
Dolphin Sigma: Key Features
- Dual scrubbing brushes
- Deep clean capability
- Weekly scheduler
- Smart navigation
- Top-loading cartridge filter
- 2.5 hour to clean
Just like most of the other Dolphin cleaners, the Dolphin Sigma comes with dual brushes and smart navigation. The cleaner can easily access the waterline and gets the job within 2.5 hours
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Sigma
- Cleans practically everywhere in and around the pool
- Use of Bluetooth to control if you want to feel like a tech wiz
- Swivel cable that protects itself from tangling up
- 3-year quality assurance
- Easy-to-clean cartridge filter
- Works out of the box with minimal hassle
- Cleans everywhere well except possibly stairs
- It doesn’t come with the caddy
Customer Feedback of the Dolphin Sigma
Some customers report that when it’s on the automatic mode, it may show it’s active although the robotic cleaner is stationary. And you’d have to manually get it started for it to work again.
Also, there’s some report of the machine not doing as good of a job of cleaning the part where the sloped wall connects with the sloped floor.
That said, the majority of reviews are positive.
- Does the machine clean the curved eges?
- Its scrubber will get the job done.
- Does the Dolphin Sigma come with the power supply?
- Yes, the power supply is included.
- Do you have to hook this up like a manual vacuum?
- Nope. It comes with its own power cord.
Dolphin E10: Key Features
- Above ground robotic pool cleaner
- Cover pools up to 30 ft
- 1.5 hour to finish the job
- Energy efficient
- Backed by good quality assurance
Contrary to the rest of the Dolphin products we covered in this article, the Dolphin E10 is specifically made for the above ground pool. It also comes with a good filtering and scrubbing ability, and it doesn’t consume a lot of energy, which is a signature trait of the dolphin product.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin E10
- Plug and play. Just a click of a button to start.
- Exceptional filtering ability
- It has a great suction rate at 4000 GPH
- The robot weighs only 14 lbs
- Only takes around 1.5 hours to finish the task
- An affordable price
- It only cleans the floor
- Sometimes misses the corner
Customer feedback of Dolphin E10
At this point in time, the Dolphin E10 is rated 4.7 out of 5 on Amazon, so it has an overwhelmingly positive review.
Despite its positive reviews, some customers are little antsy at the fact that they had to buy good filters separately.
There have also been reports of the machine not performing as well when it comes to picking up all the waste from corners.
But overall, most customers appear to be extremely content with the product.
- Why doesn’t it clean the wall?
- The above ground robotic cleaner is intended to just clean the floor.
- Can I also use this for my inground pool?
- Nope, it’s specifically for above ground pools.
Polaris F9550 Sport Inground Pool Cleaner
Polaris F9550: Key Features
- 7-day cleaning cycle
- Remote control capability
- Dirty canister indicator
- Solid-Blade brush
- Vortex vacuum technology
The Polaris F9550 has a versatile movement, and it can easily climb walls and steps. Its solid-blade scrubber cleans the surface squeaky clean. And its 7-day programmable timer lets you set timers.
Pros and Cons of Polaris F9550
- Its motion-sensing remote lets you control the machine at your fingertips.
- The dirty canister indicator signals exactly when it needs to be emptied.
- You can clean debris easily with just a shake and spray.
- With its Activmotion sensor, you can control the robot’s position.
- The Polaris F9550’s solid-blade scrubbing brush offers an excellent cleaning ability.
- It can tangle easily if you put all your cables at once into your pool
- Takes some time to get used to the remote control
Customer feedback of Polaris F9550
Most customers are happy that the Polaris F9550 allows them to save a significant amount of time.
However, there’s a report of a customer who experienced their robotic cleaner flip upside down as it was climbing up the wall.
Also, some complain about the machine not being capable of cleaning the stairs well enough.
But they seem to have a great customer support should any problem arrise.
- What to do if cable tangles?
- Avoid fully unraveling your cable. Only place as much cable as you need inside your pool and put the rest outside of the pool.
- Why does the machine no longer climb the pool side?
- This may be a sign that the filter canister is full or dirty. Another possibility is if the pool side is slippery due to the presence of microscopic algae.
- What to do it stops cleaning properly?
- Your brush has likely worn down. You will want to replace your brush if that’s the case.
Dolphin Escape: Key Features
- Above ground robotic cleaner
- HyperGrip rubber tracks
- Top-access filtration
- A large filtering capacity
- Twin motors
- Spinning scrubbers
The Dolphin Escape is yet another above ground robotic pool cleaner from the company. The top access filtration lets you access basket easily. Even better, it only takes 1.5 hours to clean up your pool on average.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Escale
- It is lightweight at only 14 lbs
- Its rubber tracks tightly grabs onto the surface
- Effective scrubbing brush that breaks down stubborn dirt and debris
- It has an extra-large cartridge so you don’t have to clean it as frequently
- Highly efficient motors to reduce energy cost
- It doesn’t come with timer unlike many of the other Dolphin products
- The absence of remote control
- It is not capable of cleaning walls
Customer Feedback of Dolphin Escape
People are happy with the fact that they can easily use the machine right out of the box. The machine seems to be reliable since there are more than a handful of peole who report that it works fine even after years of use.
Some complain that the Dolphin Escape pop wheelies when changing direction.
Overall, most reviews tend to be positive.
Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic
Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic: Key Features
- Works for both above and inground pools
- Designed for small pools up to 33 feet
- Around 2 hours to get the job done
- Built-in scheduler
- Energy efficient
Unlike its pro version, the Dolphin Nautilus CC automatic is designed to efficiently clean small pools. It works for both inground and above ground pools and finishes the job fast in short amount of time.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic
- Easy to remove from the pool thanks to its quick water release
- Covers both floors and walls
- Weighs less than 14 lbs
- Only has one brush unlike many other Dolphin cleaners
- No Bluetooth or remote control function
- No anti-tangle cable
Customer feedback of Dolphin Nautilus CC Automatic
Most report that it gets the job done. Also, many recommending purchasing a caddy since it’s a hassle to move the machine without it.
- Why doesn’t it clean the waterline?
- The machine is intentionally designed to not climb over the waterline
- Does the machine work for above ground pools?
- Yes, it works for all types of pools
Dolphin Nautilus CC Supreme
Dolphin Nautilus CC Supreme: Key Features
- Comes with three scrubbing brushes
- Designed as an Inground pool cleaner
- Bluetooth with Wi-fi functionality
- Full bag indicator
- Automation mode
The Dolphin Nautilus Supreme is a powerful cleaner that comes with a strong motor and triple brushes. The machine features many signature features of the Dolphin brand, such as tangle-free cable, quick water release, waterline cleaning, and many more.
Pros and Cons of Dolphin Nautilus CC Supreme
- It has more scrubbing brushes than any other Dolphin products on the list.
- It offers different modes of cleaning, such as quick cleaning, standard cleaning, and the enhanced cleaning.
- The machine also has a full bag indicator that lets you know when it’s time to clean the bag.
- Using the app, you can set schedules, set cleaning cycles, and spot clean all from your phone.
- It cleans water edge unlike other models.
- You will have to pay extra $150 for its caddy if you plan to buy one
- It is quite expensive
Customer feedback of Dolphin Nautilus CC Supreme
Some customers report that the instructions on the manual can be more clear and straightforward.
In terms of how well it cleans, quite a few reports show that the machine effectively cleans debris, such as airborne seeds, leaves, and sand.
People also report that it scrubs floor better than any other robotic cleans that they’ve owned in the past, which must be due to its triple brushes.
- What makes Supreme different than other models?
- The Dolphin Supreme models offer a lot more features on top of its triple brushes and two filters. You have more control over the machine because of the flexibility that it provides in terms of scheduling and cycles.
- Do I have to purchase any filters?
- It comes with a total of four filters and you need two filters to run the machine, so you don’t need to pay extra for filters.
Hayward TirgerShark: Key Features
- Inground pool cleaner from Hayward
- A fast 90-minute for a quick clean cycle and 180-minute for a complete cycle
- On-board pump
- Cartridge filtration system
- Covers pool size up to 20 x 40
- 55-inch cord length
Hayward TigerShark robotic pool cleaner is another popular choice among poolowners. It covers all areas in your pool including floor, walls, waterline, and coves. You also have the option to choose a quick cycle for fast cleaning or go with the standard cycle if you want it to clean your pool more thoroughly.
Pros and Cons of Hayward TigerShark
- Its on-board pump brings a substantial vacuum power to pick up all dirt and debris in your pool
- The use of 24-volt motor means it uses energy efficiently
- It can reach anywhere in your pool where dirt and debris reside
- It’s easy to clean since you just need rinse the cartridge with a hose
- Works on all types of pool surfaces including Vinyl, Fiberglass, Pebble, Tile, and Gunite
- The cords can tangle up
- It weighs close to 22 lbs, and the weight can get quite heavy with water when lifting out of the water
- The filtres are not cheap
Customer feedback of Hayward TigerShark
Most recommend you buy a caddy with it since it’s on the heavier side compared to other robotic pool cleaners.
People also appreciate how easy it is to operate since you just need a click of a button to get it to start.
If you suffer from back issues, then you may want to reconsider buying this. Its total weight can get close to 50 lbs with water when you are trying to take it out of your pool.
Some customers also report that it occasionally floats inside the water instead of staying on the floor.
- Can I use this on a pool with a viny liner?
- Yes, it shouldn’t be a problem.
- Does the model come with a swivel cord?
- No, it’s a floating cord instead of swivel, which also means it will likely tangle every now and then.
Aquabot Pool Rover Jr
Aquabot Pool Rover Jr: Key Features
- Suitable for above ground pool
- 2-micron fine reusable filter bag
- 2-hour automatic shutoff timer
- Works with pools up to 27 feet
- Swivel device
- Works on all surfaces
The Aquabot Pool Rover Jr is suitable for above ground pools of all types, and it is a great fit for intex pools with a flat floor. Its 2-hour shut off timer ensures it doesn’t waste any unnecessary energy.
Pros and Cons of Aquabot Pool Rover Jr
- It covers nearly 5,400 square feet per hour
- Uses extra-wide plastic non-marring wheels for better cleaning efficiency and energy
- It’s one of the lightest robotic cleaners at less than 11 lbs, so you don’t have to break your back picking it up out of water
- Its swivel device prevents cords from tangling up
- It can be costly to replace motors
- Can’t climb walls
- Not as sturdy as other robotic pool cleaners
Customer feedback of Aquabot Pool Rover Jr
There are some complaints of it only lasting for one or two seasons. You can also find a few customers who are quite unhappy with the company’s customer support.
Overall, there are more happy customers than angry customers. That said, it is certainly not very highly rated compared to other more expensive options.
- Can I use this for inground pools?
- No, this is specifically designed for above ground pools
- Does this pick up leaves well?
- Yes, it does a pretty good job of picking up leaves, but it will likely clog if there’s a pile of leaves